Thursday, March 22, 2012

Stuck in the Middle With You


- Leonardo da Vinci

 I did it, I got over the first chapter hurdle! I know, I know - it's a relatively small hurdle in the grand scheme of things. Most self-proclaimed writers out there have at least their first chapter floating around. The hard parts, for me, never seem to be writing the beginning or the end; the hard part is what a favorite writer of mine calls: 'The Great Swampy Middle'.


It's not as if I don't know how the story plays out, especially since I've had it going through my head for a while now. The issue comes about when I actually sit down to write beyond the first four or five chapters. Right now I'm still in the honeymoon stage of my newly found motivation for writing. Everything is peaches and cream; until you're flying back home from said trip, realizing your partner snores and hogs the covers. That's when you're beginning to reconsider this whole marriage (writing) thing. The same can be said for many writers who hit the GSM like a NASCAR driver hitting the wall - myself included. 

I'm going to enjoy the honeymoon stage while it lasts, but batten down the hatches before I hit the wall o' swamp. "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best."

 All of that being said, I really am celebrating; my husband read my new chapter one. While he thinks it needs some polish, there aren't any glaring overhauls that he can see. I'm sure we'll find something that needs to be thrown out, and another thing begging to be re-worded. For right now, I'm happy, tired, (yay, work out!), and in need of a shower and some sleep. Tomorrow I've got college, my daughter's gymnastics, and a shopping trip with a friend. I'm going to try my damnedest to make sure I get another half (maybe whole) chapter done, but I guarantee nothing. 


What is going on with Nyx? The Inciting Incident. I have the next few chapters planned out in my head, and I can't wait to get into everything. The key is pacing myself, and not burning out my motivation.


Word count for today:








2,308 - "Go, baby, go!"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment