Saturday, March 31, 2012

Reviews from the Backseat: Bewitching Mysteries

Being a fantasy writer, sometimes I get wrapped up in making sure the magic in my stories is blatantly obvious, and occasionally clouting the reader over the head with it. Imagine my surprise when I wrote a short story the other day, and upon going through it for editing purposes I realized I hadn't made one mention of the main character's powers. It is still a fairly decent fantasy story, (if I do say so myself), but I was completely gobsmacked.

That being said, there are some stories which build their entire premise on the use of magic, see Harry Potter for example. Because admit it; we cherished the characters, but those of us who grew up with the books would occasionally find ourselves reciting spells from the book after checking multiple times to make sure no one would catch us. I loved reading about the magical aspects of the world almost as much as I loved the characters.

Not too long ago I came across a series taking a more subtle approach to the use of magic, and it plays second fiddle to the mysteries in the books. The Bewitching Mysteries by Madelyn Alt.



The magic in the books tends more toward modern Wicca/Paganism, with just enough of an extra flair on the supernatural side of things that a person could almost believe this place is in a dimension next door.

Maggie O'Neill, the main character, is likable, normal, and levelheaded; which in my mind makes her reactions to all 'witchy' situations far more believable. She approaches them with trepidation and edging toward fear in the beginning. This is something I'd expect from a normal person who grew up little town, Indiana when confronted with witchcraft. She doesn't just jump into it all with both feet, and presto! Insta-witch!

Does the main character being normal detract from the story? Not at all. She is someone most could identify with, and root for. Her boss, Felicity Dow, plays the charming mentor to Maggie, who seems stuck in the doorway between what she feels is right for her, and what her family expects. Not to mention Marcus, the hunk in leather with a motorcycle, 'cause who doesn't love those?

The mysteries, while not groundbreaking and difficult to puzzle out, make for a delightful read.

When looking for an easy and enjoyable series to bury yourself in, this one hits the spot. It's not epic or painfully long, it's not glaringly magical, but the characters and mysteries are entertaining. As the tagline proclaims, they are:

"Mysteries....with hex appeal."

-link



No comments:

Post a Comment