Saturday, June 9, 2012

I Bet it all On a Good Run of Bad Luck

"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck."

-Joseph Heller


Sometimes in writing, or anything that a person puts a lot of themselves or their passion into, you come across moments where you think, "Is this really what I'm supposed to do? Am I actually good at this? Am I deluding myself?"

I'd like to say that my faith in my writing is unshakable, but I'd be kidding myself. Who doesn't have those moments of self-doubt lurking behind every corner? For writers, it is the waiting period after sending a query out. Then when you get rejected you try to keep a smile, say thanks for your consideration, and move on. They say the project isn't right for them, and not what they are looking for. Then you begin to wonder; "Is it right for anyone?"

Bring on the pity party!

 
-source-

Any way, enough with the depressing thoughts. They extended the deadline for the Writer's Digest Annual Competition, so I submitted another short story. A lot of times when I listen to music the song will give me an idea for something to write; that was this one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of them places, and October seems so very far away. Yeah I know, it's only a few months, but everyone has experienced that feeling of waiting and hoping for something. It takes for freaking ever!

In between now and then I'll keep writing and keep hoping; what else can I do?


No comments:

Post a Comment